Format for a customised institutional component in an OERu course

Hi everyone,
We are designing an open subject to deliver through UOW in Wollongong.
I am trying to keep the design as open and reusable as possible, but there are some elements which are specific to UOW.
What would be the convention for styling such sections? Is there an ID Device which makes it clear to the re-user that it is a local-context component?

Thanks,
Irit.

@Irit_Alony

That’s an excellent open design question: How do we design for reuse while ensuring local institution specifics.

I think the answers depend on the specifics :smile:

Could you provide examples of the aspects which are specific to the University of Wollongong (UOW) and then we can share thoughts and ideas on the solutions.

Would it help to define the course in terms of more general learning outcomes, specifying that the lecturer/tutor was free to use local examples in the teaching. In our programme definitions we specify learning outcomes and an “indicative” syllabus that can be varied providing that the learning outcomes are achieved.

Brian

Sorry it took me so long to get back to you, Wayne. I thought that there would be a notification of a reply to my post…

For example, UOW enrolled students would have access to literature resources (journals etc.) which the general public may not.

So far I just used text to note that a certain link is only available to enrolled students.
Just wondering if there is a better way.

@Irit_Alony

I believe you can set email notification options in your preferences.

For the purposes of OERu courses, we cannot link to password protected materials. These are not OER. As the OERu is an OER collaboration, we are committed to open access materials.

If UOW is planning to run an OERu course in parallel mode, the links to password protected materials could be listed in your local LMS. In your course design, think about these reuse contexts and structure the pages accordingly so that OERu learners don’t have to rely on closed resources to support their learning.

Could they be listed if they are supplementary or optional resources, for anybody who has access to a library who can access such resources? Do community/public libraries provide journal access also?