General forum for the LiDA103 Hindi translation project

Please post any general questions about the LiDA103 Hindi translation project by clicking on the reply button below.

2 Likes

Sir,
Good to learn about LiDA103 Hindi translation project. I am very much interested, and want to contribute in this project.
With regards,
Satyendra Kumar

1 Like

Great initiative for native people. i am also interested to contribute in this Hindi translation project.
Regards
Dr. Kavita Batra
Assistant professor
Manohar Memorial College of Education, Fatehabad, Haryana, India

1 Like

Hello friends,

As discussed in the initial planning meeting:

1. We may generate a first draft of the course with the support of native Hindi speakers and/or with the support of translation platforms like google translator. Hindi Native Academic Experts may review it. Hope this page on WE can be taken as the starting point : https://wikieducator.org/Learning_in_a_digital_age/_Outline_LiDA103_Hi
  2. In parallel, we may also create a CC license translation project on WE and follow the same steps as above

Yes, I think this will be a good approach and was suggested by a number of participants yesterday. Having a first draft which can be reviewed by experts is a good model.

At this stage, I’m suggesting that we start with translating one learning pathway to trial approaches and find out what technical process works best. I think Google translate will help with getting a first draft which can be tweaked by a native speaker.

In preparation for the French translation (which UNESCO Paris is coordinating) we converted the wiki course pages into Word-processor documents - because the French translators normally work with MSWord documents and were not familiar with wiki markup. So we have MSWord document copies of the English text.

There are two approaches we could consider:

1. Doing the initial translation using Word-processor documents, and then have native speakers familiar with wiki-markup to upload the translated text into the wiki, or
  2. Translating directly in the wiki - this would presume that the translators have experience in wiki markup.

There is also the issue of whether our software (the wiki) works with a Hindi keyboard - I’m not sure and will need advice and direction from the group. Translators working with Hindi keyboards may find it easier working in a word-processor document.

I thought it would be a good idea to start translating one learning pathway (for example “Why open matters” to see what approaches work best, but also to identify solutions for other components of the translation effort - for example:

• Course videos: Should we use sub-titles, or record a Hindi voice-over. This would require us to generate the English transcript for translation purposes. In some cases it may be better to find video alternatives.
  • Images: It would add value if we replaced existing “western” images with culturally relevant alternatives. What processes should we use for this activity. For example, we could have image replacement volunteers.

I reckon that tackling an initial translation of a small section of the course, would help us to refine suggested processes and provide guidelines for the community.

What do you think?

1 Like

Yes - that is the “Outline” page we use to generate a published WordPress version for the course site. I am recommending that we retain the English URLs in the wiki and only change the wiki pipe into Hindi (The pipe is the label text after the “|”) - The English urls will not be visible on the published course website, but will help us identify the original English version of the text if that makes sense.

For example - the page link in the wiki outline would use the following wiki syntax:

[[Learning_in_a_digital_age/LiDA103_hi/Start|यहाँ से प्रारंभ करें]]

(The Hindi pipe would then become the menu navigation on the published WordPress course site without the English text being visible to the learners.)

1 Like

You are correct. Experimenting with a small section will be ideal.

1 Like

Dear @satyendrakumar

Thank you for your generous offer to assist with the LiDA103 Hindi translation project. We are forming an impressive team of collaborators!

1 Like

Greetings Dr Kavita,

Welcome to our community group preparing to work on the Hindi translation. You are most welcome and we appreciate your offer to assist in this project.

Sir
I am delighted to know about hindi translation project. I am ready for any contribution from my side. Till 10th standard of education, my medium of instruction was Hindi and my native language is also hindi.

Dear @rajendra

Thank you so much for your generous offer to assist. Our project will benefit tremendously from native Hindi speakers. Welcome to our community team!

Hi friends,

As suggested above and on the WE project page by Dr. Wayne, let us attempt

1. Translate the outline page at https://wikieducator.org/Learning_in_a_digital_age/_Outline_LiDA103_Hi following the technical approach suggested by Dr. Wayne. That is, just changing the pipe to Hindi keeping English URL. (Out of curiosity I translated a few items on the page with the support of Google Translator and in line with the relation between Hindi and Malayalam :slight_smile: Native speaker friends may please review it)

2. to start translating one learning pathway (for example “Why open matters ” to see what approaches work best, but also to identify solutions for other components of the translation effort as suggested by Dr. Wayne.

If anyone of the friends here would like to download the word/writer copy of the course content and attempt an off-line first draft of the translation (alone or as a team) and upload it here - please come forward. Otherwise, we can copy the text to Wiki for collaborative editing.

Your thoughts?

Warm regards
Anil

Hi Anil,

Wow, great to see the beginnings of our translation initiative with the first wiki labels (pipes) on the outline page taking shape. I’m sure that our Native Hindi speakers will provide review and suggestions in due course.

@ramesh will be reaching out to community groups within the OERu Outreach Partnership, the Wikimedia India and others to initiate a pilot translation of the Why open matters learning pathway to provide guidance and direction on recommended approach (Word processor document or direct translation in the wiki.)

Look forward to seeing how the next steps unfold.

1 Like

Hello Sir ,
Yes ,I am interested to contribute in this Hindi translation project.
Regards
Dr. Amol Ubale
Assistant professor
PVDT College of Education For Women,Mumbai.
SNDT Womens University,Mumbai

It pleasure to me , to contribute in Hindi Translation project.
Bheem Pad Mahato
Research Scholar
Faculty of Education
ICFAI University, Tripura