My open education wicked question

Why do NZ’s tertiary education institutions think it’s appropriate to require their students to accept the terms and conditions of foreign multinational corporations (and agree to having their data stored off-shore, outside the NZ jurisdiction) to do any study whatsoever?

1 Like

How is it that most agree in principle that open access education is a human right yet we are bound to the university structure of competitive personalised research ownership of information?

How is it that we all agree at an individual level OE is desirable yet we cannot get engagement at an institutional level?

1 Like

How can we incorporate student voice and representation in these disucssions

2 Likes

How do we address access to the interface/ technology and digital literacy. For example, if we consider our key ideal “Empowering through OER” - in light of the iwi low rate of census response - and lack of Maori participation (10% of population).

How is it we have these resources yet we find teachers resist exploring and using them because perceptions about OER - re authentic/peer reviewed/reliable content?

1 Like

How come we have no national space e.g. National Library to collect the open textbooks and oer resources from Māori / Aotearoa NZ perspective?

Why do our ministries (e.g. Education, Health) always select foreign corporate proprietary platforms while rejecting the products of the commons, like open source software, which can be demonstrated to work while simultaneously embracing Tikanga Māori, data sovereignty (on-shore), and being low cost and reliable?

How is it that seemingly intelligent people cannot understand that opensource software is really free, giving the freedom to run, study, change, redistribute, copy and improve it and yet our institutions think that organisations like Microsoft are giving something for free when the students must agree to agreements and give up the freedom to, only use mind you, the software when they graduate?

1 Like

Great question. I think the answer is easy: ignorance + marketing.

How is it that there are many academics who value openness and are sceptical of centralised corporate approaches, and yet we are still talking about Academic Twitter and not the Academic Fediverse?

Explanation: https://stevefoerster.com/academic-twitter-is-for-the-birds/

I wonder if others have talked with people who are involved in elementary and/or secondary school textbook adoption, and what responses have they gotten to the adopting of OER materials?

I talked with a person who was involved with adoption of 6th through 8th grade math materials. They agreed that CK-12.org had good OER math textbooks, but were not considered because they did not have enough supplemental materials!

I think most of all (students) have not skilled in online study or they have problems with connection to course.