OERu 19-10 Session 4: My OERu wicked question

Task

Each participant is invited to generate their own OERu wicked question in the following form:

How is it that .... and we are .... (simultaneously)? 

Example

How is it that OERu has an award winning OER course, Learning in a Digital Age, and only one partner has adopted the course as a taught elective for a local degree?

Click on the Reply button below to record your wicked question.

Wiki list of wicked questions

(This list of questions is derived from submissions in response to the topic: My OERu wicked question)

Open business model

• After 10 years of OERu, why are there so few learners taking the OER courses? @Rory
  • How does the OERu address the challenge of underpinning collaboration and open content creation and adoption, whilst at the same time institutions compete with each other in a crowded market? @Henryb
  • How will OERu convince CEO’s that the business model is feasible during times of a changing and volatile educational landscape? @vpeachey
  • How do you promote collaboration within OERu in an increasingly competitive environment? @dpoirier
  • How is it that a global organisation, OERu, does not have the full endorsement of its host government and how do we achieve this? @oonaghmcgirr
  • How does OERu get critical mass in a country’s HE institutions, beyond a small number of leading engaged HE institutions? @DamienR
  • How is it that the OERu is not widely pursued by US institutions with OER mandates/interests? @seanc
  • How is it that OERu promotes values many HEIs support but has more limited institutional membership @darienrossiter
  • How is it that OERu has been regarded as strategic network to provide cost effective equal access to quality education, and yet many universities are reluctant to embrace open education resources? @odarojat
  • How is it that OERu has an award winning OER course, Learning in a Digital Age , and only one partner has adopted the course as a taught elective for a local degree? @Mackiwg
  • How is it that the OERu has proven open, freely available, robust, and easily replicable technologies that respect learner data sovereignty and privacy and yet we seeing institutions around the globe investing more and more in 3rd party proprietary technologies - which are expensive, inflexible, and respect neither learners’ data sovereignty nor privacy? @lightweight
  • Although institutions know about and understand the benefits of being a member of OERu, why are they not using the some of its practices such as microcreditialing @qakisme

Operations and technology

• Why don’t we have ‘single sign-in’ for all open source applications? @ndjafaro
  • I tried to enrol in an OERu course (succeed with Maths - part 1) on the OERu landing page and was unable to register. And if I could enrol I don’t see that I can get credit other than a certificate of participation. Did I miss something? @mlooney
  • How is it that we work with excellent educators who want to make a difference for learners, and yet we are struggling to persuade them of the value and benefits of working with the OERu? @cgoode
  • Does the OERu model have an accreditation process valid for different countries? How accreditation processes work when there are legal restrictions. @alexandreanjos
  • How can we adapt our existing content development processes for Moodle and Canvas to produce OER u courses and how much effort will it take? Or do we have to set up a separate person to do this separately? @paulbacsich
  • Are there lessons from TVET accreditation in especially NZ, Australia and UK that could lead to a “lightweight” simpler model for OER u accreditation, QA and credit transfer? @paulbacsich
  • What kind of fee levels as a fraction of the usual fee/cost should we aim for in order to price our OER u offering? E.g. in England it is regarded as impossible to cover costs at less than 1/3 tariff (about ÂŁ3000 in England) and remain accredited even as a challenger provider. (UWI OC fee levels are similar.) Supplementary question on government support and loans. @paulbacsich

Collaboration

• How is it that despite the collaborative nature of the OERu partnership there is not much evidence of bilateral (or larger) collaborations among partner institutions (both within and outside of the OERu partnership)? @rjhangiani

Most impactful wicked questions identified by small groups

Group 1 (ROI / Business models and operations)

• How do we articulate an ROI for the OERu partnership in light of increasing financial and competitive pressures?
  • What barriers affect enrollment in OERu courses (e.g., user experience, etc.)?

Group 2 (OERu partner recruitment / engagement)

• How does OERu get critical mass in a country’s HE institutions, beyond a small number of leading engaged HE institutions?

Group 3 (OERu partner recruitment / engagement)

• What is the secret sauce to get institutions that proclaim interest in OER (etc.) to buy in to the OERu?

Group 4 (ROI / Business models)

• How is it that OERu has been regarded as strategic network to provide cost effective equal access to quality education, and yet many universities are reluctant to embrace open education resources?

We are working in an world with basic problems, like inequity of access by learners based on wealth and geography.

How is it that the OERu has proven open, freely available, robust, and easily reproducible technologies that respect learner data sovereignty and privacy and yet we seeing institutions around the globe investing more and more in 3rd party proprietary technologies - which are expensive, inflexible, and respect neither learners’ data sovereignty nor privacy - simultaneously?

I think we can use our collective intelligence as learners and educators to break these bad habits and provide more equitable and sustainable access to all learners regardless of wealth and location.

How does the OERu address the challenge of underpinning collaboration and open content creation and adoption, whilst at the same time institutions compete with each other in a crowded market?

How will OERu convince CEO’s that the business model is feasible during times of a changing and volatile educational landscape?

How do you promote collaboration within OERu in an increasingly competitive environment?

Why don’t we have ‘single sign-in’ for all open source applications?

1 Like

How is it that despite the collaborative nature of the OERu partnership there is not much evidence of bilateral (or larger) collaborations among partner institutions (both within and outside of the OERu partnership)?

I tried to enrol in an OERu course (succeed with Maths - part 1) on the OERu landing page and was unable to register. And if I could enrol I don’t see that I can get credit other than a certificate of participation. Did I miss something?

1 Like

After 10 years of OERu, why are there so few learners taking the OER courses?

How is it that a global organisation, OERu, does not have the full endorsement of its host government and how do we achieve this?

I think, because, we may not have all explicitly addressed this in our Strategic Plans; the answer may be that we address this with our home institutions

@Rory, perhaps because it is perceived as a conflict in terms of core business.

How is it that we work with excellent educators who want to make a difference for learners, and yet we are struggling to persuade them of the value and benefits of working with the OERu?

How does OERu get critical mass in a country’s HE institutions, beyond a small number of leading engaged HE institutions?

How is it that the OERu is not widely pursued by US institutions with OER mandates/interests?

1 Like

Does the OERu model have an accreditation process valid for different countries? How accreditation processes work when there are legal restrictions.

1 Like

How is it that OERu promotes values many HEIs support but has more limited institutional membership

1 Like

@cgoode I think we need to design and conduct a stakeholder marketing campaign to inform and persuade our colleagues of the benefits and merits

How is it that OERu has been regarded as strategic network to provide cost effective equal access to quality education, and yet many universities are reluctant to embrace open education resources?